Graduation gifts can be pretty easy to choose. Just tuck some money in a greeting card, and you’re good to go. However, as graduation is one of the most significant events in a young person’s life, why not go the extra mile and pick a unique present that they’ll keep and cherish for a long time?
If you can’t think of anything, we’re here to help with some ideas as well as what you should consider before choosing one.
Go with personalized graduation gifts
Gift-giving can be tricky, especially if you know the other person well and want to show how much you appreciate them. Even though there are many items available for sale, you want to go above and beyond and give something memorable that they’ll like.
Regardless of the type of gift, personalized also means unique. It will stand out among other presents and make the receiver appreciate you even more. Putting effort and thought into creating something special shows how much you care.
What to have in mind when preparing a personalized gift?
As there’s nothing like a personal gift to make both you and the recipient happy, there are things you should keep in mind to help you create something unique.
- Budget. Before you start looking for a special graduation present, make sure to know how much you can spend. The best thing about personalized gifts is that they don’t have to cost much. It’s the effort that truly matters.
- Know what they want. You should know the recipient well if you want to know what they like or need.
- Take your time. Buying a last-minute gift is never a good idea, especially if you want to make an impression with something personalized. To make the best choice, start planning ahead of time.
- Be mindful of packaging. If you’ve gone through so much effort to create a perfect present, it’s expected you’ll get creative with the packaging, too. For example, there might be an inside joke that can inspire your packaging to make it even more personal and create a lasting impression.
- Don’t forget the card. To make your gift even more unique, make an effort to write something special on the card. Depending on the recipient and your relationship, you can write an anecdote, poem, or just a personal note.
- Think about the occasion. Think about what kind of gift is appropriate for this particular event. For instance, shopping for a perfect graduation present differs from buying a wedding present or shopping for a holiday gift.
Unique graduation gift ideas
Giving a thoughtful and personal graduation gift should help the graduate commemorate this time and adjust to life after school. Here are some ideas that will help you put a smile on their face.
Show how much you know them
When you know someone well, you know what they like and what their interests are. You can use that information to create a one-of-a-kind present that will leave them speechless. By showing them how much you know them, you also show how much you care.
For example, this pen in a personalized wooden box is something unique that they will treasure. Or a personalized glass business card holder for the graduate who will be working in an office.
If the person you are looking to surprise is majoring in literature or loves reading, you can’t go wrong with books. If you know of a book they always wanted to have or their favorite author, you can make the gift that much more special. On the other hand, a kindle subscription with a funny poem you wrote sounds good, too.
You can never go wrong with the food, especially if the graduate is a foodie. Go the extra mile and bake a coffee cake or any other dessert they might like. Alternatively, you can always get them a gift card from their all-time favorite takeaway with a witty personalized note.
Depending on how much you want to spend and your relationship, you can even consider going bigger, especially if you are a proud parent celebrating a child’s graduation. Any graduate would appreciate a new laptop or a new camera. However, make sure to put effort into packaging and write a card. It will make your gift more special. Laptops break, but a thoughtful note stays forever.
Personalized gift basket
One of the best ways to show someone how well you know them and give them something special is to order a custom gift basket. You can make it personal by choosing things you know the recipient will love.
The best part about gift baskets is that you can make them unique. For example, you can mix their favorite snacks and add their favorite book or video game. You can even make a cosmetics or self-care basket, depending on the person you’re gifting is like. If you want to make it even more special, print your photos or write a note.
DIY graduation gifts
The most thoughtful gifts are the ones we make an effort to create ourselves. Even though they are usually not the most expensive ones, they have the power to make the recipient feel happy and appreciated. If you want to make your graduate feel special, give them a memorable and unique gift you created yourself.
There are many custom graduation gifts you can choose from. For example, you can decorate a plain box and fill it with their favorite things. Or, you can make a scrapbook and add all your photos and write notes about your favorite memories together.
Another great idea is to get custom-made photo art. Choose your most memorable photos and create a collage that will always make them smile and remember you. By making an effort and designing something unique and thoughtful, you’ll show how much you care and create a precious memory that will last forever.
The bottom line
We hope our suggestions for unique graduation gifts inspired you to choose a perfect present for your graduate. Making an effort and investing time in creating a personalized and one-of-a-kind present will not only put a smile on their face but make them cherish and remember the gesture forever.